RE: brake pads

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brake pads
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:04:15 -0800
Fred :

All 'Kevlar' pads are not created equal, Kevlar is only one of the
components in the pad material.

I've heard good things about EBC 'Greenstuff' pads, but last time I checked,
they did not actually have pads that would fit the stock TR3/A calipers.  If
you check their website,
http://www.ebc-brakes.com/triumph.htm
you'll see that they list the same P/N for TR3 as for TR4/6; but original
TR3/A calipers take considerably different pads.  Of course, it's not
difficult to convert, and some TR3B had the later calipers.

There are only two benefits that Kevlar pads can offer :
1) Higher coefficient of friction (Cf).
2) Reduced "pad fade" at high temperatures.

A higher Cf is only helpful if you have trouble mashing the brake pedal hard
enough to lock the front wheels (which has never been a problem for me); and
will upset your front/rear brake balance (making the front more likely to
lock in a panic stop, and reducing ultimate braking power).

Reduced pad fade is only helpful if you drive your car hard enough to
experience pad fade.  Not all 'original' pad sets are equal in this regard,
the set I recently wore out was much better than the TRF replacements I put
on the car.  Wish I remembered where I got the old ones !

Let me know if you find that EBC does offer pads to fit original TR3/A
calipers, maybe I'll try a set.

One important question to ask when looking at different pad compounds for a
street-driven car is, What do they do to rotor life ?  Some very effective
pads will greatly reduce rotor life, adding another $200 to the price of a
brake job ...

Randall