Re: Valve/Distributer/Timing Question (somewhat lengthy)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve/Distributer/Timing Question (somewhat lengthy)
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:55:58 -0800
> Turn
> #1 to balance, set #4
> #3 to balance, set #2
> #4 to balance, set #1
> #2 to balance, set #3
>
> Now, turn the engine so #4 is "on balance", and check the position of
> the TDC mark.  If it's pretty close (within 1/2" or so), you can assume
> it's accurate, otherwise the pulley is assembled wrong.  If it's right,
> turn the engine forward two full turns, stopping just as the marks line
> up.  Set the timing vernier on the dizzy to the big mark in the middle,
> turn the dizzy CCW until the points close (as observed with a test lamp
> connected across them and the key on), then back CW until they just
> barely open.  Lock the pinch bolt down, but don't overdo it (doesn't
> take much, and overtorquing can break the dizzy body).  That timing
> should be plenty close enough to get the engine to run, but to be "spot
> on", you should now turn the vernier in the advance direction (as
> marked) until two more marks show.

Okay... ignore my last message.  I just realized that you were talking
cylinders here, NOT valves!  I guess the fact that you only went up to #4
should have clued me in sooner. <grin>  Arrrrrrrgh... Now I feel like an
idiot.

Anyway... the TDC mark *is* within half an inch are so of the pointer when
#4 is balanced.

Thanks again!

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas