Re: What did I do to my generator??

Subject: Re: What did I do to my generator??
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 16:12:51 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott :

One possibility is that it was on it's last legs (hence the mystery
noise) and just happened to die during your tests.  But I think it's
more likely that the generator has lost it's polarization.  My
suggestion is to first try repolarizing it, then if that doesn't work,
try the tests I posted last week.  Let me know if you need another copy.

Turning it backwards fast enough might cause it to self-generate enough
voltage to close the cutout relay, which would likely fry the relay, and
possibly the generator too.  But, it would neutralize the polarization
first, which I'm pretty sure would mean the output would never get high
enough to close the cutout.  The loss of polarization would be the only
harm.

Randall