What did I do to my generator??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: What did I do to my generator??
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:07:53 -0800 (PST)
So I was messing with the old TR-4 and was trying to figure out where a certian
whirring sound was coming from.  I figured it was either the generator or the
water pump.

So in an effort to isolate the noise, I loosened up the generator bracket and
slipped off the belt.

The I spun the water pump and generator by hand.
I couldn't feel anything wrong.

I started up the engine without the belt and sure enough, the noise was gone.

So then I grabbed a belt and an electric drill and some other stuff and tried
to see what I could to spin up the water pump and the generator individually
and see if I could hear the noise.

Now everything is back together, but the red light on the dash remains on when
the car is running and the ammeter isn't showing charging.

CRAP.
What did I do to my generator or charging system.

No, I didn't disconnect the battery ground or the wires from the generator
terminals when I was doing my "testing."

I may have spun the generator backwards for a while too for all I know.

Any ideas on what I messed up and or how to troubleshoot the problem.
(Besides putting on an alternator . . .which I'd like to do anyway)

Scott Tilton
Trying to make two TRs roam the streets of Leesburg, VA
Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com