slime in fuel filter

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: slime in fuel filter
From: "Dennis Costello" <djc.tr6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:04:22 -0700
Do my screwing up the address in subscribing after leaving my old ISP, I did
not have access to replies regarding my question on the jelly-like substance
clogging my fuel filter. At any rate, I have found the culprit, and it is
the previous, previous owner, who removed the fuel sender unit and globbed
on silicone to seal it upon reinstallation. Why it took so long to come
apart is a mystery. Correcting the trouble involved removal of the tank and
fishing out the remaining pieces with the mity vac and some hose. The
biggest problem is draining the tank after I put so much fuel in it to
attempt to restart the car when it quit. This is the second time I have
drained it, and a special "T" for the purpose goes in this time. When
draining the fuel, memories of a garage fire I went to in a previous life
reminded me not to use a trouble light, as dropping one makes for a
miserable day!

For my latest question: Why should I have a weeping brake master when it was
sleeved and kitted just 4-5 years ago? Have been using Castrol LMA too! Darn
it!
Dennis
73 TR6