Suspension Questions Again

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspension Questions Again
From: Harrymague@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:26:03 EDT
This a retransmitt of my questions on TR6 suspension.  I am particularly
interested in anybodys thought on the caster question.

As I continue to struggle with my 74 TR6 suspension, a couple of questions
have come up.  First, what is castor and if you can't adjust it then why have
a value?  I had my car aligned and the machine said that my castor for the
front wheel was -2.0 and -2.9, L&R.  Obviously these values are outside the
accepted data of +2.75.  I have looked all through the manuals and books and
all they say is it can't be adjusted.  All the other specs for the front turn
out great, and that is after 1/4 of the front was cut off and a new piece
welded in place.  The car drives straight and doesn't pull.  I just put new
michline redlines on and don't want them to get eaten.  So what the story on
castor.
Secondly, the camber in the rear end.  The data for this says it is 1/2
degree positive.  What does positive mean?  Does the top to the tire go in
torward the center to be positive, like most TR6s I have seen or should it
actually go away from the frame at the top.   After extensive repair to the
rear structure, I am have problems getting the toe straight.  I have to put
wedges in so as not the bend the rubber bushing to bad.  Yes I know I should
have the frame shop fix this, maybe next summer but right now I want to get
the car driveable so the wedges are my best bet.  While I am doing this I
want the get the camber right with the different brackets, one, two or three
notches.  Right now I am sitting at -3.1 and -2.6 L&R, and the car has the
TR6 squat.  Well any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Harry Mague
74TR6
Bevercreek OH