RE: GT6 Front Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6 Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 07:05:31 -0500
Martin,

I repacked my bearings on my TR6 about 2 weeks ago.  I simply took the front
and rear bearings out, thoroughly cleaned them in solvent and then repacked
them in high temperature grease.  As long as they spin freely and are not
scored, they should be fine.  Those "sleeves", (I believe they are called
tracks or races), where in good shape in my car, so I just cleaned them
thoroughly.  Be sure to clean out all of the old grease and use a high
quality, high temp grease.  It's a messy job, but easy to do.

Bill
Atlanta

Listers:

As part of a larger project, I'm renewing the front wheel bearings (inner +
outer) on my GT6-3.  I don't think they especially needed it, but I'm doing
it
anyway.  Using Timken bearings.

In the hub, for both bearings, there is a tapered sleeve pressed in place.
Mine are not coming out easily (but then again, I haven't wacked 'em very
hard).  Is this something I can do, and if so, what's the best way?

Secondly, is it really necessary to take these sleeves out and renew them?
Or
could I get away with just inserting the new bearings?

Thirdly, how much grease should I pack in the hub?