GT6 Front Wheel Bearings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:06:19 -0400
Listers:

As part of a larger project, I'm renewing the front wheel bearings (inner +
outer) on my GT6-3.  I don't think they especially needed it, but I'm doing it
anyway.  Using Timken bearings.

In the hub, for both bearings, there is a tapered sleeve pressed in place.
Mine are not coming out easily (but then again, I haven't wacked 'em very
hard).  Is this something I can do, and if so, what's the best way?

Secondly, is it really necessary to take these sleeves out and renew them?  Or
could I get away with just inserting the new bearings?

Thirdly, how much grease should I pack in the hub?

Fourthly, the Bentley manual sort of bl*ws when you need to find something
without looking through the whole manual.

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)