Re: Mile High Meander (aka: OH, NO! ANOTHER TRAVELOG!) http://netwinsite

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Mile High Meander (aka: OH, NO! ANOTHER TRAVELOG!) http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:05:10 GMT
>But they shouldn't
>worry, what will the Minneapolis group

"Minnesota", please.  We Saint Paulites are a little sensitive sometimes.

>think about the "You Becha Tour"
>coming up next year?

The phrase used in Minnesota is "you bet".  "Yah shure, you betchya" is now
largely a comic exaggeration left over from the old days.  Since our accent
is actually very mainstream (broadcasters in the USA are taught Upper Midwest
pronounciation), we put on the "Scandihouvian" for the amusement of guests,
don't you know.

"You bet" can mean either "yes"

"Are you going up to the lake this weekend?"
"You bet".

or "you're welcome".

"Thanks for the hotdish, now"
"You bet."

Of course we have regional names for things ("bismark" was one I demonstrated
in Hudson at the VTR) and even very local Twin Cities ones ("binder" is one
I'll make you wait for).

> Kansas isn't flat.

Much of it is.  It's just not level.  But it is darn close.  The drive from
Saint Joseph to Topeka is nice rolling hills.

South of Topeka there is a lot of flat.  Most of North Dakota, eastern Montana
and large chunks of Manitoba will out-flat Kansas, though.

>It's tilted.  And to the
>right, no less (you figure it out).

I'll let the geologists figure it out.  The important thing is that when I've
been down there, the folks in Kansas were very nice, whether it was in a
blizzard
or 100-degree heat.

>Reporting from Goodland, KS

Looking forward to your future reports!  On to the VTR and Colorado's turn to
shine!

Phil Ethier