RE: Urgent tranny help needed

To: "JEREMY CHINN" <lagrue@hotmail.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Urgent tranny help needed
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:39:19 -0400
My only thought is to heat the
>end of the layshaft, and then touch the bearing shell with ice cubes to make
>it contract. Does anyone think this will work, or have a better idea?
>Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Jeremy,

I could not find a tool or technique to get the old bearing out of the hole.
I ended up paying a machine shop $70 woth of labor to do the job and insert
the new ones.

One lesson I learned was that the new bearing on the rear of the laygear will
drift out toward the thrust bearing and wear a ring in the thrust washer. I
found from experts on the list that this was a common fault in the TR gearbox
design.  It should be set in place by punching a nick in the gear body or
using something like Loctite.  I found this when I installed the OD on the
rebuilt gearbox with 3500 miles on it.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site