Urgent tranny help needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Urgent tranny help needed
From: "JEREMY CHINN" <lagrue@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:28:56 FILETIME=[2EEF5620:01C12718]
I am hoping/praying that someone on the list knows the answer to my
question.... I am presently rebuilding my transmission. I dissassembled the
tranny a couple of weeks ago, and ordered the needed parts. While pulling
the countershaft from the bottom of the transmission, I noticed that the
bearings on the rear of the shaft were disintigrating, in fact the outer lip
was totally gone. The layshaft was the only thing keeping the needles in
place. Additionally, the thrust bearing on that end was chewed up.
My problem/question is--- how do I remove the bearing from the inside of the
countershaft? The bearing that is in there (and the other end) is the solid
outer shell, pressed in type. All of the instructions I can find say to
'simply drift the old bearing--Yeah right! My only thought is to heat the
end of the layshaft, and then touch the bearing shell with ice cubes to make
it contract. Does anyone think this will work, or have a better idea?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
The Oppositelocksmith