API GL-4 Gear Oil (long)

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: API GL-4 Gear Oil (long)
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:08:01 -0500
During the recent "stop the oil leaks" saga with my TR4 GBX/OD I needed
to acquire a new stock of gear oil since my old (twenty years or so)
supply of  API GL-4 gear oil (some Esso, some Shell) was consumed
between topping up the leaks and the several trys to solve the leaks.

I first made inquiry of the various oil companies (in USA only) easily
found on the web and asked if they had a GL-4 gear oil and what happens
if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil application.  The
consistent and typical answer was, "...if an API GL-5 gear oil is used
in an application where API GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical
corrosion of "yellow metal" components may occur, such as bronze
synchronizers, brass bushings, etc. This may lead to shifting
difficulties or shortened life."[Pennzoil web site] "Typically, GL-5
gear oil will have about 2 times the active additive level of a GL-4
Product. This additional additive can cause problems with yellow metals
such as brass or bronze."[Castrol tech email]

The only oil companies I contacted which said they had a GL-4 product
were Pennzoil, Castrol & Valvoline. Details follow:

Pennzoil   Gear Plus  GL-4  SAE 80W-90
stock # 21176                32 oz bottle
Castrol    Hypoy Gear Oil  GL-4 SAE
80W-90                                                               35
lb pail(5 gal)
Valvoline Hydro-Lube Gear Oil GL-3 & 4  SAE 80W-90         part #
538                      5 gal por-pail

I also found the following product in one of the local chain auto parts
stores (Trak Auto):

Sta-Lube Hypoid Gear Oil GL-4 SAE 85W-90                         part
#SL24229             32 oz bottle
(div of CRC Industries, Inc)

At this time these are the product possibilities I know of in the US if
one wants to use API GL-4 in their GBX/OD. I bought 3 quarts of the
Sta-Lube brand for about $ 3.00 ea. (all that was on hand).  TRF sells
Castrol Hypoy (cat #TRFGL4) repackaged in quart (32 oz) bottles for $
5.50 ea + shipping. Since I really didn't need 5 gals of gear oil, and
per Castrol their nearest stocking distributor was in Lebanon, IN with
none of their Illinois (where I'm located) distributors handling Castrol
Hypoy, I special ordered a case (12 quarts) of Pennzoil Gear Plus GL-4
SAE 80W-90 through my local auto parts store. In two days the oil
arrived, cost was $2.80 per quart + sales tax. I gave 1/2 the oil to my
younger brother who owns a '72 TR6 and we were both happy and back in
GL-4 for the foreseeable future.

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 CT38895/LO   Wheaton, IL