RE: TR3 fan blade options

To: Ron E Marx <ron.marx2@juno.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 fan blade options
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:37:19 -0400
>===== Original Message From Ron E Marx <ron.marx2@juno.com> =====
>I would like to know if a replacement fan blade is available to replace
>the original 4 blade fan now on my TRW would like to find one with the
>same 4 mounting bolts and crank hole configuration but with 6 to 8 blades
>instead of 4 blades.

Ron,

There are 2 TR alternatives.  The first is a really nice metal 6-blade that
was called a "Tropical Fan".  It is lighter and easy to balance because it is
symmetrical instead of the X pattern of of the TR 4-blader. They are hard to
find in the northern states.  Watch ebay and the list. The next is a 8-blade
yellow plastic fan that was used on late TR4As and TR250s. This is even
lighter and requires no balancing weights.

I have the 6-blade on my car and it helped out tremendously in achieving a
smooth high RPM engine.  My 4-blade metal fan had a hit on one blade and I
never got it to balance.

Folks say that you can make the 8-blade plastic fan fit better if you work on
the steel pulley extension and the fan with a dremel tool to get the fan to
fit the on the extension all the way.  Some folks say you can elongate the
radiator mounting holes and open up some space.  On my TR4,  I acquired a TR3
extension which is a little shorter to make the install easier.  I plan on
making the swap this winter.

The ideal fan would be one the was light and 8 or more blases and could be
mounted through a viscose clutch.  This is standard equipment on all modern
cars with a belt driven fan.  The clutch allows the fan to only work below a
certain RPM like 2000 RPM.  This takes all the load off the engine... which I
am told is quite a big factor at above 3500 RPM.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn