Thread size and pitch

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thread size and pitch
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:31:01 +0100
Gentlemen (and ladies)
My little grey Fergie came to me with two impressive and brand new
gauges -  oil pressure and water temp. I'd never seen ones like this
before - and thought they'd do for the time being. Closer examination
shows they were made by Rochester Instruments of Texas. Temp gauge is
OK as the sensor screws into the thermostat housing without
difficulty. Problem is the oil pressure unit. The thread on the back
of the instrument is very similar to that found on Healeys / MG's /
Triumphs - apart from the pitch. None of my thread tools match it and
I wonder if anyone can suggest what it might be? It's going to be a
s-d to recut owing to the length of the spigots on either side. I've
also noticed the oil inlet on the back of the instrument has a tiny
pinhole instead of the larger one to which I'm accustomed. Is this a
normal feature of Rochester products or should I carefully drill it
out to make it larger? Comments will be most helpful.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Fools rush in - and grab all the best seats"