Re: Magic Clutch

To: pleask@telus.net
Subject: Re: Magic Clutch
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:08:50 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Pat,
        I installed the "Magic Clutch" sold by The Roadster Factory
when I did a frame-up a few years back.  I went for the package deal
which they sell with a one year warrantee.  True, it uses a SAAB
pressure plate and a Toyota Land Cruiser throwout bearing!
        There has been endless discussion over the merits of the
Laycock and Borg & Beck clutches, and I can't speak to these, as I
never drove a TR6 with either.  The Magic Clutch has good feel,
though, and the TO bearing is obviously more heavy duty when
compared to a stock one.
        TRF will press the TO bearing on your bearing carrier sleeve for
you, which requires a bit of honing on the sleeve to accept the Toyota
part.  Regarding this TO bearing, it's "spin-up" acton is stiffer than the
stock bearing.  I ran the Magic Clutch for 6,000 miles and then pulled
the engine for a rebuild.  I found that little roll pin on the bearing sleeve
was being slammed by the pin on the release fork each time the clutch
was thrown.  Solution?  Remove the pin.  I have 600 miles on the car
since then, with the original Magic Clutch.  No problem.
        Pay particular attention to the clearance between the release
bearing carrier sleeve and the transmission "cover" tube it rides on.  It
should be .015" +- a few thou on the diameter.  This may seem a little
sloppy when cold, but it tightens up on a hot engine.  A bit of dry
graphite lube between the two can't hurt.  If you do pull the cover off
the transmission, replace it's seal and gasket, and use a thread sealant
on the 4 screws.
                Hope This Helps,
                        Rick
>>I'm told that there is a "Magic Clutch" that is used on
the TR6, made out
of
parts from other cars. I'm woundering if anyone out there
has got such
an
animal and what they think of it ?

Thanks, Pat