TR3 Miscellany

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Miscellany
From: "Brewer, Bill" <bbrewer@LEHIGHCEMENT.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:04:41 -0400
     Some unresolved issues in my TR3:

     1. I need a new rear panel (millboard or whatever) that goes at the
back of the passenger compartment (cockpit) against the gas tank. Anyone
have an extra or know someone who supplies them? My Moss reupholstery kit
came with the vinyl, but no panel. Maybe someone has made one themselves and
has a pattern and some advice.

     2. I bought a repro front bumper from Moss years ago. When mounted, the
ends seem to droop down. I looked at the repro overriders and it looks like
there is only one way to mount them. Is it possible to notch out the
overriders a bit more to get the bumper bar to at least go level on the
ends? It seems like it might burn the chrome or something.

     3. I am putting a tonneau on that I bought at a swap meet (only a
couple of lift a dots installed). Along the back of the TR, like where the
first of the back lift a dots should go on, there are a strange set of
double threaded holes on each side. What goes there? Which one gets the lift
a dot peg?

    4. I am getting ready to rebuild a steering box that I bought from Joe
Alexander (thanks again Joe!). In the meantime, my current in-use box is
badly worn with lots of free play. Has anyone heard of a TR3 steering box
failing completely (like the peg breaking off and sending you in an off-road
shunt or head-on)? Is it possible to replace a split column steering box
without removing the front apron? Is it worth it? I am afraid of taking the
front off again and getting shipwrights disease.

     TIA

     Bill Brewer
     Ad Hoc Sidescreen Registrar - Final Final list next week
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 & 1961 TR-3A's