RE: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further inducement to g

To: "autoX-Trumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further inducement to get you all to the 2001 convention...)
From: "F. Grant Robertson" <f.g.robertson@alexiongroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:16:23 -0400 >
Gotta say, you couldn't have been more wrong here kai.  I do tend to agree
that "kids" or "minors" lose intrest in things easily, and that a vast
majority of them would be woeful triumph owners, however..  The kinds of
"kids" that are in that category would be completely turned off at the idea
of a 6 cyl motor that put out a whopping 85 hp to the ground.. let alone did
it without the aid of airconditioning.

I'm 25 years old. I was rasied around high performance cars, first Vette's,
then Porsches, Ferraris and Jaguars.  No, I'm not from a rich family. My
father ran cars on weekends for a buddy he had since highschool who grew up
to run dealerships. Sometimes, if we were lucky, his buddy would need to get
out of something at top dollar, and we'd sell it person to person retail for
him.  Ah the cars I was exposed to. 911's, 928's, 944 Turbo's, a bright
orange 930, a red(but of course) 328GTS Ferrari, Benz's, Street Rods, race
cars. I grew up with a divine love and reverence for anything mechanical,
although I've never been a great mechanic.

Flash forward to my 18th birthday.. freedom. The ability to sign a loan for
myself, to choose what I wanted to drive becuase it was now my sole
responsibility.  I looked at hondas for weeks, until one day I called about
insurance on one. Ouch, my heart was broken, and I figured I'd be stuck
driving a 79 AMC concord untill I died or turned 25, whatever came first.

Till one day it occured to me, since my Concord, being old was so cheap to
insure (although far from a classic, unless classic peice of crap is what
your looking for).. what about an old small sports car?  I'd long wanted a
914, the ugliest of all Porsche's arguably, it was one of my dream cars.  I
called the insurance company and much to my suprise, they were cheap to
insure.  I immediately started looking for one and ended up with a 73 914
2.0, titled as an S (denoting it's _very_ early spot in the 914 2.0 model
run).  I spent all of 3300 bucks on that car, and I think less than 100 a
month for full coverage. And, although I didn't anticipate all of what it
would take to drive a classic on a daily basis, I perservered.  It taught me
alot about cars I never realized and, I loved that car until divorce and a
dropped valve at just the wrong time forced me to sell it.

I've since had many fun classics. A 76 BMW 2002, a 68 Olds 442, a 93 Mustang
LX 5.0 Special Edition (not classic, but collectable.. 1 of 351 produced),
an 84 VW GTI in near ITB race Prep and the two that currently haunt my
garage, an 85 BMW 5'er in impeccable shape and my '80 spitfire which I'm
rescuing from the neglect of it's PO, who, by the way, was years older than
I.

Stereotypes and generalizations won't get you very far in this world, and
they usualy end in you being wrong at a critical moment.  I belive you've
reached yours.

-Grant Robertson