Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:18:32 -0400
Hmm.  Kai's said some interesting things here.  Good thing he doesn't really
believe them all.

Those of you with children will know that
> a child's interest in a particular object or subject matter may be piqued
> for a while and suddenly dwindle and then a complete loss of interest
> follows.

I thought the suggestion was to interest young people -- which I presume to
mean people in their 20's.  You know, those children that started all the
dot-coms.

Those of us with the ambition, resources, and the least limitations,
> will fill the void of fewer owners by purchasing and housing greater
numbers
> of Triumphs.

Right, all those retirees who, having shed the shackles of work, children
and geographic location, are just dying to build a 10-car garage and do body
work.

It was at about that time, while I was a freshman
> at Ithaca College, that I read a classified ad on the VTR site for a GT6
> also located in Ithaca being sold by a Cornell professor.  I had already
had
> my TR6 for about a year, and my MGB for 4 years more, so wasn't new to the
> cars.

Boy, I'll say.  You got an MGB when you were 13?

> I ask every list member from here on in, to discourage new (but not
> inherent) interest in the Triumph marque.

Don't think you're get many takers on that one, Kai.  But sadly, I suspect
the same net effect will happen naturally.  I see the "LBC Restoration Age"
as inherently limited in time, and those people who are currently driving
Honda Civics with lowered suspensions and louder exhausts will -- in 20
years -- be restoring Miata's and Z-3's (probably converted to alcohol), not
Triumphs and MGs.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (worker bee)
72 TR6 (garage queen)
Arlington, VA

"Most of the things I worry about ... never happen anyway." -- Tom Petty