RE: brake pressure versus MC/slave cylinder ratio

Subject: RE: brake pressure versus MC/slave cylinder ratio
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:41:13 -0400
Need coffee, brain tired. Da--ed great big light bulb on horizon... However:

You are correct. If you are pushing with X force on both the larger and
smaller master cylinder, the smaller bore unit will have a higher hydraulic
pressure generated. This will definitely give you more braking force. That
force is given by the ratio of the square of the original MC radius to the
square of the new MC radius.

However nothing is for free; While you will get more force, you will also
have more pedal travel in proportion to the ratio of the two MC piston
cross-section areas (same as pressure ratio). If the difference in bore is
too much, you will bottom out your brake pedal before the system presses the
pads firmly.

This is all easy to show if we could draw graphics or insert formulae into
this list, however it's text only, so we persevere...

By the way, we have all been ignoring the action of the servo in all of
this. I must confess to a vast ignorance of the internal operations of that
unit. (sound of universal gasp, "Mark says he doesn't know something!" birds
fall from sky etc...) Can somebody tell me if the servo assist is in any way
affected by the travel of the pedal, or is it simply the foot pressure
opening a valve or passage? You know, assist force proportional to pedal
pressure at any point in the travel. That sounds right, but I don't know for
sure.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6