brake pressure versus MC/slave cylinder ratio

Subject: brake pressure versus MC/slave cylinder ratio
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:45:32 -0400
Actually the same pressure over a smaller area would result in a smaller net
force applied to the pads.

Brake hydraulic pressure is independent of slave cylinder size. Pressure is
given by the ratio of the force applied to the master cylider piston and its
diameter. (50 lbs appied to a 1/2 inch square surface = 100 lbs/inch
square). The force applied to the brakes is that pressure multiplied by the
area of the slave cylinder. The ratio of the master to slave cylinders gives
the amount of travel required to actuate the system. Thus if the area of the
slave is 3 times the master, then the slave will travel 1/3 the amount the
master travels. However this ratio will have no impact on the pressing force
once the slave is tight against the pads and disk. That force, as previously
mentioned, is entirely dictated by the pressure from the master multiplied
by the slave piston area.

The reason that one cannot have enormous forces applied to the disks is that
the pedal travel becomes unreasonable. With a tiny master cylinder piston
and a huge slave cylinder one could press the disks flat. However one would
arrive at a ridiculous situation of a multi-foot pedal travel giving a
micrometer movement of the pads. Bearing movement would soak that up
immediately.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6