Body shop/mechanics in and around Evanston, IL?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Body shop/mechanics in and around Evanston, IL?
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:49:14 -0500
My TR-250 has been off the road for about five years.  Today, it moved under
its own power for the first time since the right front lower suspension
mount broke, lo, those many years ago.  In the intervening five years, we've
converted one garage into a family room, added another garage, sold that
house, moved from Scotia, New York to Evanston, Illinois, and converted a
breezeway at our new house to (yet another) family room.  Now it's the car's
turn.  (Lest you think I'm unbelievably handy, we contracted out all the
house stuff. ;-)

I am almost certainly going to need a bit of professional help at some
point, so I'm casting about for mechanic/body shop recommendations in and
around Evanston, Illinois.  Any recommendations?

I will prime the pump here.  I have used one shop - Imports and Domestic
Auto Services on Davis St. in Evanston - for some work on our Mercedes ('78
240D) and '96 Passat.  I was in there the other day picking up the Passat
(new alternator and battery).  The shop owner was moaning about how hard it
was to get at the Passat's alternator.  I told him my TR would be a lot
easier for him to work on.  He then took me around the corner and showed me
a '64 TR4.  I also saw a couple MGB's, a late model Ferrari (I don't know
what model - it was red and not very tall) and an Alvis (1952, according to
the license plate).  On past visits I've seen other European iron (Porsches,
Audis, Mercedes) as well the standard issue North Shore soccer mom cars:
Volvos.  If I get no other recommendations, I suspect these folks will be
able to do what needs doing.

At any rate, my goal is to register the Triumph by the end of the summer.
Cross your fingers...

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com)
(847)971-7098