Spinning Lug TR4-6

To: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Subject: Spinning Lug TR4-6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:04:04 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Evans, Mark"
>While replacing the short wire wheel lugs with new long disc wheel lugs on
my 66
TR4a, I find that one is spinning on the front left. The splines or reeds
are
nearly smooth in the hub. I won't be able to torque a lug nut and it won't
be
safe unless I fix it. I thought about it and searched the archives to come
up
with the following possibilities:

1. A spot of weld to hold it - but I don't weld.
2. A spot of J.B. Weld to hold it - seems like a jury rig.
3. Use a punch and peen around the wheel side of the hole (to make it
smaller)
and use red lock tite.
4. Buy a new hub - waaaay too expensive ($190 - $220).
5. Buy a used hub - got to find one reasonably priced.
<

Mark, Don't EVER EVER EVER spot weld the stud to the wheel.  This will
cause crystalization and stud failure.  I would use either 2. or 3.  If you
use number two keep the JB Weld away from the head of the stud so that the
head is in direct contact with the hub and there is no epoxy in between.

Dave