RE: Balance

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Balance
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:59:36 -0700
Kai M. Radicke wrote :

> In my search to find evidence to support my TR3 Braking argument I came
> across a wonderful site which much information on various technical
> automotive topics, including Engine Smoothness and balance.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/technical_school/engine/smo
oth1.htm

But doesn't explain why V8's 'rumble'.  As I recall, it's because the two
banks don't fire evenly, even though the engine as a whole does.  IOW at
some point in the firing order, there are two cylinders in a row in the same
bank.  This means the cylinders cannot be properly paired in the exhaust,
the net effect is that the exhaust pulses arrive at the end of the tailpipe
unevenly.  The effect is considerably magnified by having dual exhausts
without a crossover.

Randall