Tensioner

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tensioner
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:53:17 EDT
I inadvertently sent this post from a different screen name earlier but it
never showed up. Don't really know why or how that works but if it does show
up later, you'll know why.
Anyway, in the course of restarting the 65 4A, I've got the timing cover off
and found there's no tensioner. None. And it's been that way for about twenty
years because that's when I bought it and I've never had the cover off
before. Keep in mind that I've only put about 10,000 miles on it in that time
and none in the last eight years. But everything is fine in there. Chain
practically new and tight, etc.  However, I figure I might as well put a
tensioner in while the cover's off. But now that it's running again, I'm
impatient to move forward and don't even want to wait for one to be
delivered. I realize it's unlikely, but is there any replacement available in
my local NAPA or DAP or Pep Boys, etc.? And how necessary is the tensioner in
any event?
Thanks.

Jim