Re: Windshield woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield woes
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:07:53 +0100
In article <3.0.4.32.20010614064435.008fce10@postoffice.pacbell.net>,
Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> writes
>The night before last I finished, with the help of my brother in law,
>installing a brand new windshield and OEM seal (waited almost two years for
>the "original" style Triplex screen to be delivered, it's a long story)
>after freshly painting my 72 Spitfire.  The morning after it was installed
>it cracked, just sitting there, obviously from being over stressed.

You have my deepest sympathy.

>   Now
>it was one of the most difficult windscreens to install, actually taking
>several hours (yes hours) and I have installed a few in my time, but never
>have I had such a hard time as installing this one.

This may be of no consolation whatsoever, but a professional windscreen
installer replaced the Triplex screen in my '77 Spitfire earlier this
week in about an hour and a half - including about an hour fiddling with
the chromes before giving up on them.   Everyone I have ever spoken to
tells me how difficult this screen is to install, but clearly, the
professionals have the knack.   Incidentally, the replacement screen was
made in Finland for some reason...

I would recommend that you pay a professional installer to do your next
one.

>Some time ago I was talking to Charles (of the Roadster factory, when I was
>getting my windscreen) and he was saying that at that time they were having
>problems with Triplex windscreens and I'm wondering if I got on of those
>problem ones.    Obviously, this one was highly stressed, possibly it was
>slightly too large judging by the difficulty of installation, and I half
>joked that it would crack the first time the sun hit it.   That will teach
>me and the sun didn't even have a chance to shine on it!.  Needless to say
>I was REALLY disappointed after finding out mine cracked - Now I'll have to
>replace what was a brand new one (not to mention I'm out the $150 bucks for
>the windscreen and seal)

The seal should be re-usable.   Can you not claim a new windscreen
(professionally fitted) on insurance?

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"