TR6 brakes - how good/bad?

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 brakes - how good/bad?
From: "ian.viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:04:55 +0100
When I obtained my TR6 the brakes (amongst other things) were in poor order.
Winter 1999 - following done, front - new discs, caliper pistons freed, new
seals, pads, flexible hoses; rear - new drums, seals, shoes. Passed MOT
test. This year I took car to a friend for MOT - he passed it, but commented
that brake force was poor - marginally better than a Austin Metro! Compared
to my daily driver (Alfa Romeo 147) the brakes are poor but I thought, as
the TR6 is 27 years old, this was perhaps 'normal'.  I have considered
fitting kevlar pads (EBC Green), before any more radical upgrade. But, am I
missing something more fundamental?
Any comments/suggestions welcome.
TIA
Ian Viles (Derbyshire)