Re: TR4 alternator conversion

To: Michael Gajic <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 alternator conversion
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:47:34 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael :

I actually don't recall just what model Ford I got it from, but back in
the 60s and 70s, Ford used the same alternator on most cars made in the
US.  When I need parts for it, I say it's from a 1968 Mercury Marquis,
just because I find that easy to remember.

But, I would not recommend that particular unit for a new conversion.
For one thing it's really too big, I have to take the mounts loose to
change the fan belt.  I also had to cut the alternator casing to make it
fit, which is a PITA when buying a replacement.  Also, it uses an
external regulator, which does have some advantages but means an extra
box to mount under the hood, etc.

If I were doing it today, I'd use something more like the Nippondenso
unit on my wife's mini-van (89 Dodge Caravan).  It looks to be even
smaller diameter than the stock generator, is internally regulated, etc.

Randall