Re: Left Lane Bandits (rant and rerant)(Just about no LBC..)

To: "Steven Newell" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Left Lane Bandits (rant and rerant)(Just about no LBC..)
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:54:08 -0400
Just to clarify my earlier comment... I used 70/75/80 as a figure in
general. Thats where I usually run, if there's no one else around. When I am
in the left lane with traffic, I am usually passing whatever is to the right
of me. I don't regulate traffic,and if I feel I am going faster than I'd
like, I do shift over to the right or center.

 Also, I don't do brake lights in general response to flashed hi-beams- if I
am far enough ahead, and there's room I go to the right, and let them past.
It is when they pull right up on my tail and start playing around that it
annoys me. (Usually they aren't just mainlining the left lane at that point-
they have usually just done some broken field running through all three
lanes, back and forth, and then climbed in my rear window.) I have had
people so close to my tail that I could not see their front ends. My general
rule of thumb is, if I can see their front license plate area, I'll see what
I can do. If all I see is their hood and windshield, they better back off.
(I had a cop behind me one time when I was driving a stake bed truck, and
all I could see was his roof!) I also had one car fly up behind me, I took
it to be a cop in an unmarked, flicked his hi-beams(nighttime) and I looked
quick and shifted over, just missing a car in my blind spot. The A*****e
proceeded one car length past, and then went to the speed I was at already!
Not everyone is a decent quick driver(and I am good to around 100, let's
leave it at that) trying to get past. Some are just plain reckless, and
don't care about how to do it properly.

Rarely I will flash my hi beams, but usually at the person hogging and doing
55 in a 65. If they are doing the legal limit, I will wait them out. If I
find a clear area after flashing to no result, I go around. I did not mean
to seem as though I regulate traffic- I agree with the concept of drive as
quickly as you can handle safely- I just don't like the ones who think "I
have this type car, and I want to go faster than you, or I can climb your
bumper". I see a lot of that.

 I also would like to see speed rated licenses and tags, with lanes to go
with them...Something along the lines of, you qualified for "Unlimited
speed", you get special red tags, license to go as fast as you like, in the
left lane. You qualify for "60 to 85 max" with yellow tags, and center.
right lane privledges. "Standard/Student Driver status" stay in the right
lane, orange triangular tags, no operating on busy highways, and "Retirement
Driver", where you live in a closed community, and your car is not permitted
out of the main gate. (These are the guys who insist on doing 35 mph in any
given speed zone, except 25mph where they do 15. These people do exist!)
Testing would be every third or fourth year till a certain age, then every
other year thereafter. And red and yellow tag cars would be required to
allow themselves to be stopped for license checks if the officer is in doubt
of the drivers rating(runs the tag, finds the driver should be a 45 yr old
male, car driven by a 17 yr old.. penalty is disqualification for 1 year) Of
course, a few bugs need to be worked out of the system, but the basic
concept is interesting. Hey- I only think up these things. Someone else can
figure how to make them work satisfactorily!

Sorry I started this thread, for those who are sick of it, I apologize. I
misstated my thoughts the first time, and I think that had a bit to do with
it. No flames on this one, pls... Besides, where are the flying cars we were
promised in the 50's by all the leading scientists? We're supposed to have
flying cars, and we wouldn't have to worry about this. I blame the
scientists, and demand flying cars.

Getting out the burn cream,
Scott

PS, I shouldn't have to worry about this once the Herald is done, she won't
go over 82 anyway, so I'll be trapped with the slow birds. But at least my
car will have good looks!