Re: Spit / GT6 driveshaft interchangablility

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit / GT6 driveshaft interchangablility
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:30:03 -0700
Not as straight forward as one would expect.

Early Spits (Mk1 through Mk3) have a smaller flange on both ends than the later
Spits and all GT6's which are a common larger size.

During the years, Triumph employed at least 3 different types of shafts, two of
which have different style sliding joints on one end.  The latest Spit
Shafts have a CV type joint on the front rather than a U-Joint.

Since the early 3-rail gear boxes are shorter than the later 3-rails, the
shafts on the non-od Mk1-3 Spits are longer than the later (MkIV) shafts.
The single rail box is a different length still than the earlier 3-rail boxes,
so the shafts again changed in length to compensate.

Regards,
Joe