RE: Who uses a TR3 Rear occasional seat ?

To: "'Pat'" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>, TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Who uses a TR3 Rear occasional seat ?
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:57:45 +0200
Greetings Pat

It's a real snug fit , but I've had the following people on the occasional
rear seat of my '56 TR 3 ( without soft top erected or hard top fitted ) :

* Daughter aged 12 . ( Regularly . Complained at first , but later decided
it's actually COOL . Understandably still prefers the front seat though ) .

* Two friends ( aged 11 & 12 ) of my daughter . ( Whenever there's a school
function my TR is preferred transportation over the other dads' shiny new
plastics . The kids love it ! )

* One of my friends aged 37 ( Only once and never again after our near
horrific encounter with two young damsels and their new red BMW ) .... He's
still trembling :-)

* Bride ( aged 28 ) and groom ( aged 29 ) on their wedding day .
Unbelievable , but true . Had to remove the passenger seat ( and leave it at
the hotel ) so that the bride could get in and fit . Groom had to sit
sideways and my seat was pushed way forward . Very uncomfortable for the
driver . Didn't think it would work , but it did . Also it was a tad on the
cold side and the fun really started on the way back from Church ... slight
drizzle and there's no way you can erect the soft top with an adult in the
back of a TR 3 . Great fun . Most memorable TR weekend so far . Still have
the wedding photographs ... just in case someone finds it hard to believe
:-)

So , yes , kids fit snugly and adults VERY snugly . Never had a passenger on
the rear seat for longer than two hours , but long distance trips may become
very uncomfortable unless you stop and stretch regularly . Adults may
complain even sooner :-)
Never had the soft top or hard top on whilst there was a passenger on the
occasional rear seat , but I would guess that , unless it is a small child ,
it would make things extremely difficult( don't think it's possible with an
adult ) .

As to seat belts ... good idea , but sorry no seat belts ( front or rear )
in my TR 3 . Not original equipment AFAIK .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
Cell 0839989744 , Office 012-3398071 , Home 012-2591129 .
'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Triumph Sports Car Club of South Africa membership number : 2117
Triumph Sports Car Club ( Pretoria Centre ) membership number : 356 .

Projects ( sadly for sale to fund TR3 restoration ) :
'62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .