TR3 gas tank sender unit removal problem

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: TR3 gas tank sender unit removal problem
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 22:19:35 -0400
Cc: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Pat"
>I need to remove the fuel sender unit from the gas tank before I get it
cleaned out etc. The problem is some of the screws holding it in are frozen
big time.

I see my only option as grinding the heads off unless you can come up with
other ideas.... question one.

If I have to grind the heads off, what can I do when it comes time to
replace the sender unit ?
Drill and tap to a bigger size ?
Bolts welded on up side down ?
Gum ?
<

Pat, after the sending unit is out you can soak the offending screws with a
good penetrating oil (PB Blaster has received a lot of air time of late)
which after a few days may allow you to grasp the tiny stud remaining with
a pair of locking pliers and unscrew them.  If you can do this it will save
you a whole bunch of work later on.

If that doesn't work you might be successfull drilling out to the same size
and cleaning up the threads with a tap.  You have to center the drill very
accurately.  Start with a very small drill and then step up in size.

If that doesn't work drill the next size up.  This means you will have to
drill out the corresponding hole on the sending unit.  This also means you
become a DPO.  Not a bad DPO.  I only wish that this is the worst thing
done to my TR3.

Don't use gum.  Gasoline makes the gum taste terrible.

Good luck

Dave