RE: Overdrives

To: "Roger Ryan" <rgryan2@excite.com>
Subject: RE: Overdrives
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:30:09 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Roger,

If you have the room to bring home a parts car...  The $500 is
worth it.  A TR4-6 gearbox with an A-type OD attached will fetch
from $750-950 on the VTR classifieds all by itself.  And you can
strip the car of every useful part that isn't nailed down. That
would include the engine bay and running gear.  Then you take
what's leftover to the dump.  I wish I had the room to do this
kind of thing.

As far as using it on your own car... you have a couple of
choices.  The cheapest and naturally the riskiest is to just use
the gearbox/OD unit "as-is" and put it in your car.  Unless you
have rebuilt the gearbox in your car you may get an equal or
better swap.  Or you can go the route of rebuilding the gearbox
and OD completely over the winter and then swap into your car.
Michael Ferguson made the "swap without rebuild" choice last
winter and came out OK.  A TR6 buddy here in NE Mass did the same
and the OD slipped under load and after hours of grief and 2
tranny swaps he is going to do the complete rebuild this coming
winter.  It's a crap shot.

You can test the unit "on the bench" using a 1/2 drill and hand
actuate the unit.  then test and adjust the solenoid using a 12V
source and go on to test the operating pressure with an hydraulic
gauge.  All this without putting the unit in the car.  I would
open the top cover of the gearbox and look for damage and wear,
drain the oil and check for too much metal flake or some big
pieces.  You should also carefully examine what comes out of the
big bottom twist off cap on the OD.  There is a filter screen
with magnets in there that will tell you a lot.

Hope this helps.  I copied the list as it is a question of
interest to everyone.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site