No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:45:34 -0600
I Started up my  74 TR6 for the first time in 3-4 months last night. I
became alarmed when the oil pressure gauge did not show pressure and the oil
light stayed on after about 15-20 seconds. Shut it down and am uncertain
what to do. It seems unlikely that all of a sudden my mechanical pump has
failed. Also - no big puddle on the floor to indicate a full winter drain
and the stick shows level  between the marks.
I looked in the archives where  some listers mentioned  removing the plugs
and disconnecting the fuel line (do you just disconnect and pinch the end?)
, then cranking the engine for a minute or two until pressure showed  but
this was for  the 1st start on a rebuilt engine..  I thought I might try
this but IS THIS the simplest  way to test for  pressure or the lack thereof
and could  it hurt the engine after a long winter?
Also - the last act of autumn was to change the oil. I did run it after for
a minute to get pressure. I also installed a spin on FRAM filter in place of
my usual spin on Purolator and 10-30 instead of 20-50 just to hold it for
the winter.  I've  seen list submissions re: bypass valves in some filters
and not in others.  Could the FRAM have anything to do with this? .  Perhaps
20 seconds was not enough.  Is there anything I should avoid doing  so as
not to risk damage? Thanks,

Jim Sloan