RE: Here's a good one for y'all

To: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net, stag@digest.net
Subject: RE: Here's a good one for y'all
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:00:58 -0800
Raymond :

Any speedo shop should be able to make up a gearbox to go in the speedo
cable to correct the error.  This is the most straightforward way to correct
the problem.

Another route is to change the speedo head and/or drive gear in the
transmission.  You'll have to consult a GM dealer or parts book to find
alternate drive gears for your particular tranny, but earlier TRs had much
higher speedo calibration numbers (in the 1200-1400 turns/mile range) than
the later TR6s (and I assume your Stag) did.  35% is a lot of change, but
perhaps with a combination of the two, you can come close.

Another explanation might be excessive wear in the speedo head, they do read
higher with age.  You'll have to figure out it's performance relative to
it's calibration number to know what's what.

Tony Rhodes has a good article on TR speedo repair, which also touches on
the subject of calibration numbers (and changing them), at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes/Speedo.html

Randall