Re: Spitfire Disk Brakes

To: herald1200@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Disk Brakes
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:25:10 EST
In a message dated 3/25/2001 2:54:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
herald1200@home.com writes:

> 1. Are the disks the same for a Spitfire Mk 2 and the later Mk 3 + 4? (1300 &
> 1500?)

Rotors? Yes.

> . Are the calipers the same?

No. Mk3 and later Spitfires used the Girling Type 14 caliper, while earlier
Spitfires and Heralds used the type 12 caliper.

> . While the master cylinder looks the same as the one in my Herald, is it
> internally the same?

Internally they are the same (as far as rebuild kits go). Note that the
"proper" brake master for a Spitfire or for a Herald with disc brakes should
be the "taller" one -- more reservoir to hold more fluid than the clutch
master cylinder.

> 4. I understand the rear wheel cylinders are supposed to be a larger bore
> than
> the standard ones, when using the disks on the front- Are these the same as
> later Spitfire as well?

I think so.

To do a "proper" conversion, you need the brake lines (well, actually you'll
want new steel lines, I'd think) from the junction on the frame up to and
including the bracket that bolts onto the suspension turret, and you want to
then use the Spitfire brake hose from that bracket to the caliper, not the
Herald hose for the drum brakes.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>