Re: Fair value for a TR4- PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE! (long)

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: Re: Fair value for a TR4- PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE! (long)
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:52:16 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Noah,

I am not an expert on TR4's or values, however this sounds like a very
"original"
TR4. I owned a 64 TR4 back in the mid 70's and it had rust everywhere before I
reconditioned it. If any Triumph has no rust, it must have been stored as you
were told. 14K does sound a bit high but what is fair market value? I am not
sure. This car does have great potential as a show car if restored, since it is
very original. What would it be worth then, better wait for the 4 experts to
answer.
It does sound like a serious offer is warranted though. I would go as low as you
dare. What can the dealer say but no.

If you do get this car, please dont drive in winter. The salt and grit will rust
that body and frame fast.

Your test results reveal that the car, engine etc. are in sound condition. The
oil leak could be an old dry gasket or a seal that had gotten hard.

As far as maintenance; since you are not a mechanic, or have the time, you will
be paying a premium price for maintenance. Your parts will be at dealer cost,
not
yours and the time will be anywhere from 50 - 70 $ an hour on a classic. As far
as what you would be looking forward too is anyone's guess. The car is almost 40
years old.

Personally I believe that half the fun of owning a TR is performing whatever
maintenance is required. It certainly has been a learning experience since I got
my first TR3A back in 1968.

Good luck, but wait for others to answer.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V