Fw: Help needed Mating OD

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>
Subject: Fw: Help needed Mating OD
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:23:48 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Ronnie Babbitt"
>I'm in the process of mating the OD to the transmission .
can some one describe to me  how much  resistance I should expect when
mating
these components, as the spring compress I hear some popping. (It sounds
like
springs) I'm not sure i'f that would be expected. I'm having to apply a
good
bit of force as I tighten the nuts on the long studs.  I have NOT tightened
it
to the point of contact with the cam and pump. I'm just before it
<

Ronnie,

You MUST take care that the two spline hubs at the rear stay aligned.  One
hub is for the OD gear set and the other is for the sprag (one-way) clutch.
 The manual describes a step to align them using a spare main shaft but
when you invert the overdrive to drop it onto the transmission the OD
clutch falls away the and one or the other will shift and the splines will
no longer be aligned.  If you try to bolt the units up uo will be putting
tremendous pressure on various internal parts as well as the aluminum
housing.

A technique I developed with an Austin Healey friend of mine is to
fabricate a fixture (a big board with four holes) that bolts to the output
flange of the O/D and will hold it in a vertical position.  With the O/D
mounted the splines are aligned with a spare shaft and then, without
disturbing O/D the main transmission portion is then inverted and lowered
onto the overdrive unit (taking care to position the pump piston and cam
properly) and running down the bolts.  Voila.  Works well, I think.  (Note
that the picture in the manual shows the O/D being lowered onto the
transmission which could work, I guess, IF you ensure spline hub alignment
with the O/D inverted and then setting the O/D on the transmission directly
but then the springs fall out.

As far as resistance, once all the splines are lined up the only resistance
should be the springs.  In otherwords the unit should freely bounce on the
springs until you reach the case alignment pins.   If the springs are
popping then they are not seated right.  They might be popping into proper
position, however. Note that the overdrive unit has guide pins for the
springs whereas the transmission adapter plate has only very low bosses for
positioning the springs.  This makes it seam natural to assemble the
transmission onto the overdrive (at least to me) if only there is a way to
stabilize the O/D in the process.  Hence the fixture mentioned before.

You might want to pull the unit back apart and do a close inspection for
spring location, and spline alignment.

Good luck

Dave Massey