Re: Gas bottle flyaway

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gas bottle flyaway
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:39:15 -0000
To put other listers contributions in perspective re velocities etc,
round about 1976, I was following a truck operated by a UK brewery. In
those days it seems it was more common tan today for many wagons of
this type to have an underslung rack to hold CO2 cylinders to assist
the progress of the beer into the glass. Each cylinder was about 2
feet long. A cylinder on the truck in front of me suffered a rupture
allowing the contents to escape with some rapidity. This sudden
weakening sent the connector off almost at the speed of light and I
never did see where it landed - but several hundred yards away. The
explosion also comprehensively removed the rack from the truck chassis
and the truck then ran over the remaining bottles in the rack.
Needless to say, this caused a back tyre on the truck to explode and
the noise of that second 'bang' was far quieter than the CO2 going
off!
Ever since that time, I now give brewery trucks the benefit of doubt
and if I do overtake them, I try to do it on the opposite side of
where the truck has the CO2 rack. This can occasionally cause
difficulties with pedestrians - but if you aim for the gap between the
woman with the baby buggy and that lamppost ............

Jonmac