Re: welder safety!!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder safety!!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:42:21 -0000
Hi Gary
Ok I'll tell you a tale, whilst at school (yes I did go, not easy to
tell!;-) ) I was moving the mobile MIG welding plant. There was a small step
to negotiate and in doing so the bottle fell off the carrier, crashed down
and removed the gauges, now if the bottle had been shut off at the valve
there would not have been a problem, but it was not and took off across the
shop like a rocket, fortunately the 12" oak pillar holding up the roof
halted its progress with a loud thud and I was able to shut the valve. After
the dust cloud from the roof beams had settled!
Lessons!
1 Enlist help!
2 Remove the bottle from the carrier when moving the welder (except maybe
the shortest distances on level ground like from the front to the back of a
car)
3 Shut the valve off during all moves, it only takes a second to close and
re-open, several minutes to carry the bottle back to the starting position,
also it will almost certainly put a dent in a LBC if it goes off in that
direction.

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon