TR6 - No brakes

To: "Ross Fox" <rossjfox@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR6 - No brakes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:08:51 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Ross Fox"
>Turns out the brake fluid resovoir was completely empty.  Filled it with
DOT3 (new bottle of same stuff I've been using for years) but no change.  I

can't identify any obvious leaks in the system -- sure there are a few
drops
of scattered oil benieth the car, but actually it looks quite dry (but then

the brake fluid may have leaked out months ago).

By the way, the brake warning light does not illuminate once the car is
started.  The bulb at least works because it illuminates with the ignition
on but the car not started.

How should I start to trouble shoot this?  Maybe I should try to bleed the
brakes next.  Any thoughts would be welcome.
<

Ross,

I'll leave it to others to talk about DOT3 fluid.  If you're brake warning
light comes on when you switch on but extinguishes when the engine starts
then you can stop troubleshooting.  It is doing what it is supposed to do.
This is a built in lamp check function that lets you verify that the bulb
is still good.

Now you can rebuild your hydraulics and change to DOT4.

Dave