Re: Kerosene heaters

To: Eric Conrad <conrade@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Kerosene heaters
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:31:21 -0500
Cc: Christopher Ball <cball@oct.on.ca>, "'TRs Roadster list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Eric Conrad wrote:
> > label on the back tells me, in typically Canadian fashion, to have a fresh
> > air opening of 58,000 mm squared.
>
> Alright, I'm setting myself up to look dumb here!  Wouldn't 58,000 mm be
> equal to 5,800 cm

  Not quite, because they are squared units.

  It works the same as Imperial measurements do when converting
between linear measurements and square measurements.

  1 foot is 12 inches, but 1 square foot is 144 square inches.

  Similarity, 100mm^2 is 1cm^2.

  So 58000mm^2 is 580cm^2.

  So, an opening of 24cm x 24cm or so. Big enough to put
your head in, not big enough to climb through.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca