Kerosene heaters

To: "'Britiron Bike Digest'" <brit-iron-l@listserv.indiana.edu>, "'TRs Roadster list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kerosene heaters
From: Christopher Ball <cball@oct.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:29:42 -0500
I just lucked into a fantastic deal that will be a real blessing next
winter.(I hope) A friend down the street is moving and he had a kerosene
heater in his shop - never used. When he said he was having a garage sale on
the weekend I asked about the heater. Well - for fifty bucks - I now have a
10,000 BTU heater and .. two drums of kerosene. ( to keep away from my
welder)

So - does anyone have any experience with these beasts? It must fume off to
some degree since it vents into the room. I was surprised how little smell
there was after I left it running for 2 hours, but then carbon monoxide
doesn't smell either now does it. (wake up - I said "now does it?")  The
label on the back tells me, in typically Canadian fashion, to have a fresh
air opening of 58,000 mm squared. ( as if anyone under the age of 12 has the
faintest idea if that  opening would allow a mouse or a transport truck
through it)

It's a very civilized looking thing, with fake wood grain and push button
start, but I would not fancy having it in the house.
Great for a winter cottage or workshop though.

Any feedback gladly received as always.