Re: welding (sad story)

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: Re: welding (sad story)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:38:27 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary Nafziger wrote:

> that is scary..........is there more to the story?? sparks are part of
> welding and common........am wondering if he was wearing something
> particularly flammable or if there was something else flammable laying around.

It doesn't take all that much. Years ago, I worked as a machine builder
and fabricator, and did a lot of welding. Rarely had problems with that,
except for the occasional hot spatter in a shoe (the original
hot-foot!).

But, grinding puts out a _lot_ of sparks. One particularly muggy summer,
wearing just jeans and a t-shirt, I was finishing welds with a 4"
hand-held grinder, and smelled something burning, looked around, didn't
see anything in flames, started to go back to work, then realized it was
me.... (!) I'd set my t-shirt on fire from all the sparks. Fortunately,
I got it out and off in a hurry, but if I'd been a bit slower, I would
have had some serious burns. As it was, I could laugh about it... my
line was, "wanna see my Richard Pryor impression?"

Sounds like the welder in Fred's story wasn't so lucky.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.