Re: Armstrong shocks

To: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@wcnet.org>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Armstrong shocks
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:41:05 -0600
>I am looking for advice on rebuilding a pair of Armstrong rear lever action
>shocks for my '59 TR3A.  I would like to find valves that would make them a
>bit stiffer.  Does anyone know of a source for competition valves?
>
>Mike
>lytspeed@wcnet.org

Mike --

Give Peter C. a call:

World Wide Auto Parts
2517 Seiferth Rd., Madison, WI  53716
(800) 362-1025     Fax (608) 223-9403

I believe he has stiff valves available - not sure on cost.  He may
sell those independently of a shock rebuild if you want.

I purchased rebuilt shocks from him just recently, and at a
surprisingly low price ($49 apiece).  I was originally planning on
rebuilding them myself, with stiffer valves, but his description of
what they do to the shocks sold me on his product.  They completely
disassemble them, hone and polish as necessary, replace the original
crappy shaft seals with real oil seals, on some models they install
bearings (not sure if that includes TRs), and reassemble with new
gaskets & such.

I have yet to drive on my rebuilt pair, so this endorsement may be
premature - but I don't think so.  What I received from them is
quality stuff.

Service was quick and professional, and the core charge ($30 per
shock) was refunded promptly.

HTH,
Dan