RE: cleaning solution

To: "Gary Nafziger" <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: RE: cleaning solution
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:52:28 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Gary,

With kerosene and Gunk you can get quicker results with a stiff
parts cleaning brush and or a small wire brush... steel wool or
whatever.  The water based solution does not dissolve grease as
fast but if you let it do its job... it leaves the parts almost
ready for paint. Kerosene gets the stuff off but just keeps
getting the oil in a more diluted solution .  Your always have to
clean the part with Simple Green of something to coax all the oil
film of the part.  BTW, I find that the wire wheel you use for
cleaning off rust and oxide can leave a film on the part.

I do a combination of things.

1. I keep a small plastic tub of kerosene and use this has a
first pass "get the big blobs off" workstation. I use a paint
scraper and wire brush to get off the obvious things that the
water based stuff will go slow on.

2. I blow off the excess kerosene and put it immediately into the
water-based parts cleaning tub.  There it sits for one hour to 3
days depending on the condition of the part.

3. Periodically I will check the part and brush off any stuff
that has turned to jelly/soap from the parts solution.  When It
seems like there is nothing left I try to put back all brushed
and stripped for a couple of hours more.  This jellies up all the
little stuff you missed in the crevices.

4. I then put into a bucket of clean water to remove all traces
of the cleaner and then use compressed air to dry it and force
out any stuff from holes or nooks and grannies.  Back in if
needed until you get perfect "eat off" clean.

5. Then it's off to the bench grinder to make it bright and
shiny.  This is where a bead blaster would do a much better job.

6.  When it looks like it is brand spanking new, I put it back
into the water base cleaner for a 10 minutes or so to get it
ready for POR-15 or primer and paint.

I ordered a Bead Blasting Cabinet to do my front end parts back
in January but HF screwed me over and showed me the "dark side"
of buying from them.  I still have 50 lbs of glass beads and 50
lbs of walnut shells and no blast cabinet.  Another story maybe.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn