Look what followed me home! It's a cousin of the TR2!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Look what followed me home! It's a cousin of the TR2!
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:56:46 -0000 FILETIME=[0D428A90:01C0AEA7]
Along with our '59 TR3A we now have a 1954 Swallow Doretti in the garage!
It's the 20th Doretti built (of something like only 276 total manufactured.)
  I'm going to be very busy finding out all I can about this car - but the
included "Instruction Book" has entries that show we are the third owners.
The car was made by The Swallow Coachbuilding Co. Ltd., The Airport,
Walsall, Staffordshire. It uses the running gear from the TR2, but the body
is a tubular steel frame with an aluminum skin.

Check out the pictures at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=956578&a=12122685&f=0&vt=vp

>From Tom Householder and Kurt Oblinger, I have learned that this particular
car was raced in the 50's, then restored to concourse condition and shown
quite a bit.   It was sold the second time in 1973 but parked in a garage
since 1975 or thereabouts.  It looks like it has a later engine (probably
the result of racing the original!) and a few minor modifications, but all
in all, is very original.  Those who know their Doretti's (from whom I am
learning a lot!) tell me that along with the slightly later engine, it has a
non standard steering wheel and some added badges, but other than that is
all there and evidently quite correct.  Main thing is it has LOTS of dust
and dirt, a few minor dents, a damaged grill (removed, but recoverable) and
probably needs only the brakes overhauled and possibly a clutch/rear engine
seal to run!  And there seems to be no rust what so ever.

I plan on getting it running but leaving it basically untouched for the near
future.  Tomorrow I start inventorying the spare parts that came with it and
cleaning the car.
The thing is really a time machine - unchanged right out of the fifties.

And the fun continues!
      Frank
         '54 Swallow Doretti #1020
         '59 Triumph TR3A #TS55223L