Re: ring and pinion clearance on differential

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ring and pinion clearance on differential
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:28:04 -0000
Hi Cathy
I have the Standard Triumph Workshop Manual for the Herald Vittesse and
Spitfire 4 and this gives the backlash as 0.004 to 0.006 inch I take it this
is what you want, please bear in mind setting up the diff is more complex
than just getting the backlash correct, you have to adjust in and out of
mesh and the pinion height to achieve the correct contact footprint between
the gears. If you would like further information I will scan the manual
pages for you.

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon