Re: Help with Crankshaft

To: "Tom Wagner - Program Manager" <Tom.W.Wagner@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Help with Crankshaft
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:22:04 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Although most vehicles can have the bearings replaced in situ, it is quite a
bit better to pull the crankshaft, and have the journals mic'd for
roundness, as they tend to "eggshape" with use and wear. Then you can have
the crank properly machined, and install with new bearing shells, and the
confidence of knowing the job has been done correctly, and will offer no
further problems.

As to shims on the crank, save the old ones, but, remeasure the end play in
the crankshaft. This is fairly easy with the engine out, and a factory
service manual will tell you the proper amount of play for your particular
application. Any good service manual will tell you the proper procedure for
checking the end play. Usually it is measured at one end or the other, then
the crank is moved fully the other way, and measured again. Difference is
the free play, and it is changed by the addition or removal of those shims.

As to the big nut- a big socket and extension are suggested.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible