Re. Paint on a clean frame du>

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re. Paint on a clean frame du>
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:42:31 -0500 (EST)
After testing out the POR15 on some parts and scraps, I decided to go with
PPG epoxy primers and PPG acrylic enamels on top of that.  The reason
being that I found the POR15 to be difficult to apply evenly  and that it
was brittle after hardening.  On the otherhand POR15 is just right for
areas where the metal was pitted and body filler didn't seem like the
right thing to use (like the battery tray on the firewall, for instance).
After using paint stripper, wire brushing and finally bead blasting, I
used phosphoric acid based metal etch/cleaner to prepare the surfaces and
then sprayed two fairly heavy coats of the two-part epoxy primer.  It is
critical to mix the primer in smallish batches and very well.  The
coats of primer should be approximately 1 mm thick according to the
literature so spray heavily.
-Kevin