Re: Spitfire Head Gasket

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>, Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Head Gasket
From: Justin Paxton <justin@bexel.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:31:38 -0800
The water was detected after the car had been sitting inside for a number of
weeks, and after a brand new tailpipe and muffler that had also been sitting
indoors was installed.  Both were bone dry on install.  I started it up to
detect any exhaust leaks directly after completion, and discovered water
almost immediately.  It should be noted that the old muffler and connecting
pipe had rotted away from what looked like this kind of water exposure from
within.  I will run it again and look for coolant before I tear it down just
to be sure.  Thanks for the tip.